Chemical peels, also known as chemexfoliation or derma-peeling, can improve the health and appearance of skin. When applied to the face, neck, or hands, chemical peels cause older layers of skin to “blister” and peel off. This process stimulates the growth of a new layer of skin that is smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin.
Chemical peels may be used for any of the following:
- Reducing fine lines under the eyes and around the mouth
- Treating wrinkles caused by sun damage, aging, or hereditary factors
- Improving the appearance of superficial blemishes and mild scarring
- Correcting pigment problems such as age spots, freckles and melasma
- Treating certain types of acne
- Improving the look and feel of skin that is dull in texture or color
Chemical peels can generally be performed in less than an hour. Although patients see improvement in their skin soon after their first treatment, many patients choose to repeat mild peels at one- to four-week intervals until their desired effect is achieved.